5 Ways Chiropractic Can Help Boost Your Immune System
Whether you have a full-blown cold, suffer from asthma or allergies, or just feel like something is “off,” receiving a chiropractic adjustment may help cure what ails you. While chiropractic adjustments don’t directly treat these issues, several studies and research spanning 100 years provide evidence that by properly aligning the spine, the immune system gets a boost
- Clear Communication: Proper spinal alignment frees your nervous system pathways, creating clear communication between the brain and nervous system, which controls your body’s functions. Adjustments to areas of the spine between the mid-section and neck impact the involuntary functions of your nervous system such as digestion, breathing and heart beating, also including immune response.
- Reduced Stress: When your body is properly aligned, your spine is free of subluxations, which research shows can cause stress to your spine and irritate the nerve pathways, hindering your immune system function and making you more susceptible to illness.
- Increased White Blood Cells: A study found that the number of white blood cells — which are key to the body fighting off disease and infection — rose just 15 minutes after chiropractic adjustment. This is important because with more white blood cells, your immune system is stronger and that, combined with a nervous system that can freely communicate with the brain, helps your body perform at its optimal level, no matter your age.
- Maintenance Mode: Initial studies showing that chiropractic adjustments have a positive affect on flu symptoms date back 100 years. In addition, another study found that people under chiropractic care for more than five years showed a 200 percent greater immune function than those who did not.
- Fighting the Good Fight: When your immune system functions at its highest level, it can better fight off dangerous bacteria and viruses while not overreacting to things like pollen, dairy, and other common allergens that the body incorrectly thinks it needs to fight off.
To learn more about how adult and pediatric chiropractic adjustments can help ease allergies, asthma, the common cold, flu and more for you or your child, contact Well Beings Chiropractic in Lakewood, Colorado, at 303-238-6500.